Sunday, March 7, 2010

Thai Burger



Let me start by saying that I have never had Thai food. From what I know about Thai food it involves a lot of spicy sauces and peanut sauces and dressings. I eat peanut butter pretty much every day. I also love spicy foods so this seemed like a pretty good idea for a burger. I literally googled "Thai peanut burger" for an idea of how to go about this. I found one which seemed pretty good and went at it. Of course I tweaked it a little to my liking. I went to Whole Foods and bought out the Thai food section. In a large mixing bowl I hand mixed the ground beef with the seasonings. I used salt, black pepper, red chili flakes, and garlic. Then I mixed in the wet ingredients. I used soy sauce, teryiaki sauce, Worcestershire sauce, ginger paste, fresh lime juice, and a store bought Thai roasted red pepper paste. Lastly, I used Skippy peanut butter. I heaped on two large tablespoons. I used my hands to mix up all of this into a pattie for my burger. This was extremely messy but I formed the burger and placed it on a piece of tin foil. I coated my cast iron pan with habenero butter and turned the heat to high. When the butter melted and the pan was hot enough I placed the burger on it. I could see the peanut butter starting to melt but the outside of the burger was getting crusty in sections. After 6 minutes I flipped the burger over which was not easy to do. The peanut butter melted and the burger was not staying together in the pattie form. For the bun I used a hard sesame kaiser bun. I cut the bun in half and covered one half in honey while I used a "Hot Thai chili sauce" on the other half. I let the burger cool down and then placed it on the bun and covered with a little bit more of the Thai hot sauce. Overall I would say that this burger was pretty good. I am not quite sure how to describe it. Like I said I have never had Thai food before but this was my impression of what it is like. The burger was definitely spicy and definitely creamier than a normal burger. But I could still get a some texture from the beef searing on the pan and the hard crusty bread. It was unlike any burger I had ever had before. The overall flavor profile was heavy on the peanut butter but after you start to eat the burger then the spice hits you on the way down. I am glad that I decided to make this burger. Several times on this burger journey I got the opportunity to try something that I probably never would have decided to try. I look forward to next week because I don't have many left before the big 3 0.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds awesome, Thai Flavors are pretty amazing none the less. My blog features chicken wings from all over the world, and one of my posts is on a Thai flavored chicken wings so i'm pretty familiar with these ingredient. Definitely one of my favorites. They're flavor profile will definitely give you a kick, if you add the chilies in! I'll give this ago!

    ReplyDelete